Monday, December 8, 2014

TWD's Player of the Week (Week 6 2014)

Goran Dragic, Pho PG 
.591 FG%, .882 FT%, 25.0 PTS, 2.7 3PM, 3.7 REB, 7.3 AST, 1.7 STL, 0.7 BLK, 2.3 TO, 1.0 PF

The Phoenix Suns are attempting an intriguing experiment by giving three point guards significant play time. Through the signing of Isaiah Thomas and the re-signing of Eric Bledsoe last offseason, Phoenix placed two 1-men alongside Goran Dragic to form one of the most formidable backcourt rotations in the NBA. 

This experiment is seemingly working thus far, as the Suns are 11-8 and all three floor generals are performing exceptionally. 

Unfortunately for Dragic, this has led to a decrease in play time compared to last season, as his minutes have dropped from 35.1 to 31.1 per game. Dragic's usage rate (i.e. the percentage of plays he's involved in while on the floor) has also diminished, falling from 24.5 to 22.1 percent (5th for the Suns). 

As a result, numbers have dropped from his All-NBA Third Team performance last season. The 28-year-old is currently averaging 15.5 points and 3.2 assists—a noteworthy reduction from the 20.3 points and 5.9 assists he put forth last year. The suns' guard has had some challenges moving from PG to SG. 

"It's kind of a different situation because all these last, I don't know, 10 years, when I was a point guard, I had the ball in my hand and I was making plays for others, I was making plays for myself," Dragic said. "Now, the others are making plays for me and I need to move without the ball. It's a little bit harder for me because I never did that before." 

The reigning Most Improved Player has still put together some good numbers this season. He had 28 points and a season-high 13 assists Friday as the Suns put an end to the Mavericks' 5 game winning streak. He shot a ridiculous 59% from the field last week as well. 

Dragic's output may have fallen this year but last week's performance shows he can still produce when called on.



No comments:

Post a Comment